On the 16th and 17th March 2013, the Goyder Pavilion at the Wayville Showground in Adelaide will be hosting the epic presence of William “Captain Kirk” Shatner and Richard Dean “MacGyver” Anderson as a part of Oz Comic Con!
We are giving away two weekend passes to two lucky winners. Details on how to enter found at the end of this post.
Both Captain Kirk and MacGyver are legends in their own rights. Despite coming from a different timelines, they both shared similar passion for adventure, and showed fierce determination in the face of danger, all in the name of love… and duct tape.
That brings us to the next question, if we put them together in the ring, who would win a mano-a-mano between the two? We present you, Capt. Kirk Vs. MacGyver!
HAND TO HAND COMBAT
Both Capt. Kirk and MacGyver have their own shares of fisticuffs. While Capt. Kirk had battled intergalactic aliens of different species, colours, and sizes, MacGyver had his own shares in fighting against humanoid earth goons of different variety. As the below videos suggest, Capt. Kirk demonstrated a superior fighting skill with a mean judo throw, vicious knee, and a move that put WWE Superstars to shame. And you gotta admire someone who could shrug off a backstab.
MacGyver on the other hand, punched like a kitten and had terrible bad luck with glass panels.
This round clearly belongs to Capt. Kirk.
Capt. Kirk may be stronger and faster than McGyver, but he’s often too focused on the enemy and neglected the advantage of the environment as the previous video demonstrated. Take as an example, Capt. Kirk’s famous arena battle with a Gorn:
What would MacGyver do in this situation? I’ll tell you this: he’d create a giant slingshot utilising the dead tree, his trousers and rubber bands. He would then grab the rock, set it up on the slingshot, build the momentum to the max and hurl it at full speed and crushed the Gorn. The end.
MacGyver wins this round.
IF LOOKS COULD KILL
Literally. And I’m not referring to the Most Beautiful Man in the Cosmos contest. Purely based on looks alone, Capt. Kirk has that certain transparent look – what you see is what you get. MacGyver on the other hand, has that disarming look that could easily put you off-guard. Which one is more dangerous you ask? Combined with his lethal knowledge of chemistry and physics, my money is on MacGyver on this one.
Lets get straight into it. I’ve chosen 3 of the most memorable quotes (in my humble opinion) from each:
- “The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play.”
- “Leave bigotry in your quarters; there’s no room for it on the bridge.”
- “War is instinctive. But the instinct can be fought. We’re human beings with the blood of a million savage years on our hands! But we can stop it. We can admit that we’re killers…but we’re not going to kill…today. That’s all it takes! Knowing that we’re not going to kill…today!”
- “You can do anything you want to do, if you put your mind to it.”
- “You guys are missing out on a good deal if you kill me. See, I’m kind of an expert with just about everything.”
- “For the past seven years I have done nothing but travel around the world getting shot up, locked up, blown up… and all I have to show for it are a couple of empty rolls of duct tape.”
MacGyver may be good with his hands, but he’s no match for Capt. Kirk when it comes to the battle of words. Some of Capt. Kirk’s best could be described as timeless and downright inspiring. As awesome MacGyver was with his spontaneous inventions, I remember very little of his “best” quotes. All that it taught me was that I could get through life with a little luck, plenty of duct tape and rubber bands – and this wasn’t working for me. The obvious winner of this round is Capt. Kirk.
MacGyver is a hapless romantic. He’s the type of guy who took the ladies out for dinner, serenaded them, or saved their lives from international terrorist using his paper clip and duct tape before landing his first kiss. He’d be most likely to cook you breakfast every morning too.
Star Trek fans would be familiar with Capt. Kirk’s inter-galactic encounters with the female species. It mattered very little to Capt. Kirk what galaxy you’re from – he loves his women and not afraid to show it. His confidence and direct approach seemed to be winning hearts all over the universe, and he would probably get them to cook him breakfast every morning.
There is no clear winner on this one: two different personalities with different approach, so I call a draw on this round.
Don’t miss out on this very once in a lifetime opportunity for a chance to meet two of the greatest TV icons in one place! Get your tickets directly from Oz Comic Con or enter our contest for your chance to win one of the 2 weekend passes for the Adelaide Oz Comic Con!
HOW TO WIN
You can have a maximum of 3 entries in order to win.
- Subscribe to our Newsletter. By subscribing, you also get the most relevant news and updates on our latest cosplay photo shoots, projects and comic book reviews.
- Tweet the name of the celebrity you’re looking forward to seeing at Oz Comic Con @gotsuperpowers and include the following URL: http://bit.ly/igspozcomiccon
- Leave us a comment below and tell us who you think should win between Captain Kirk and MacGyver. And make sure to leave us with your correct email address.
We will contact the winners on Friday 8th March at 5pm (Australian Central Standard Time). We’ll also be announcing the winners on our Facebook Page.